Ensure that your COVID safety plan is locked in, and then consider:
- Going over COVID safety plans with your team
- Splitting your team to avoid having to isolate in case of an incident
- Maintain cleaning and hygiene standards with salon hygiene supplies
Talking to your team about being COVID ready will help make their return to the salon floor smoother and make them feel more secure.
Whilst doors are open, we need to be flexible and adaptable to changing conditions, as well as welcome a long list of clients back. This may mean extended hours or trading days.
- Try not to overbook and make sure your team have breaks
- Make sure your team are being realistic about appointment time and durations – and have a contingency plan if you run overtime!
- Understand that you may be facing more than a few colour corrections and full heads of colour, so appointments may need to be scheduled longer
Try to avoid 7 days per week of trade, with 12-hour days.
You want your returning customers to feel at home, and for any new customers to turn into regular appointments. By creating a comforting space for guests to escape, will also keep your team grounded and feel connected to their client in front of them.
- Allow more time with clients
- Maintain professional firmness with clients
- Reward loyalty: If needed, hold off accepting new clients until your existing base has been booked
Set a reminder to check your stock levels and factor in any extended trading, uptake in appointments and extra services that you may be booking in.
It’s a great time to restock your kitchen with tea and coffee for your team and clients, make sure you have your best retail foot forward with an inviting retail area, fresh POS and ensure every customer is going home with a retail product regime to maintain their hair at home in case of isolation.
Ensure that your customers can easily find out that you are open by updating your Instagram bio with open days and times. Communicate your new opening hours/policies and safety measures on your social media, through email or via phone.
Don’t forget to celebrate what’s happening in your salon via your social channels. Reassure them that you are there to get them looking and feeling good after weeks of isolation and home hair care routines.
The Australian Hairdressing Council - provide regular updates and resources around Covid-19 as they relate to the hairdressing industry
Styleicons - read the article on what the AHC advises salons to do when re-opening
Australian Government - for essential updates